What is a Noun?
NounsA noun is the name of any person, place, or thing.A proper noun refers to the name of a person, place or organizations and begins with a capital letter. Mr Smith, Joe, Amanda, Nigeria, British GasAn improper noun refers to a thing or object and does not begin with a capital letter e.g.
Some nouns are mass and do not have plural forms e.g. fruit, food, moneySome nouns have no singular e.g. trousers, tweezers, scissors, thanks Example:
- Animal names: cow, pig, sheep, horse, chicken, duck, monkey, lion elephant, crocodile, dog, snake, hippopotamus
- Body part names: hair, mouth, nose, eyes, teeth, feet, toes, fingers,ears
- Objects names: table, chair, comb, oil, box, house, mosque, station, vehicle names, car, bus, train etc
- The child is going to school. (singular)
- The fathers are going out to eat pizza. (plural)
- The woman hides her bag from the robber. (singular)
- The tomatoes are growing so fast in her garden. (plural)
Source: Talking Partners ESL Book